Skip to main content

My Patrilineal Name Scott Changed From Daigre

 

Going through Census Records, I found out that my patrilineal surname Scott was changed from Daigre. My ancestors changed their last name between 1900 and 1910 after they relocated to Thibodaux, Lafourche Parish.  Great Grandpa Ivory Scott had put down Assumption Parish as his birthplace on both his World War 1 and World War 2 draft registration cards. 


Learning about Ivory Scott being the father of my paternal grandfather Nolan Scott

https://diversegenes.blogspot.com/2023/02/learning-about-my-scott-family-of.html


Great Grandpa Ivory Scott's father was William Daigre who was born in 1865 in Louisiana. According to the 1870 and 1880 Census Records,  he lived in Baton Rouge, East Baton Rouge Parish. 1870 Census record shows 2nd Great Grandpa William with his mother Hannah Daigre and his Daigre siblings in a household headed by James Hawkins. 2nd Great Grandpa William's father wasn't even in the household in 1880 nor 1870.   In 1880 Census, Hannah was head of household and recorded as a widow.  She was recorded being black born in Kentucky with both parents born in Kentucky, but her children were recorded as being mulatto born in Louisiana with father's birthplace as Louisiana.  
















I found out that Great Grandpa Ivory had older siblings Matthew and Pinkey. 


1920 Census shows Matthew as a head of household on Greenwood Road in Police Jury Ward 5, Lafourche with wife Nellie and their children Robert and Freddy.  2nd Great Grandma Maria was a widow living with them.  The third household listed after them was headed by Felicien Ordogne, and he was Harry Ordogne's father Clovis Ordogne's 1st cousin.  Clovis was son of Louis Ordogne. Felicien Ordogne was son of Emile Pierre Ordogne.  Louis and Emile were sons of Joseph Nicolas Ordogne and Felicite Duet.   Great Grandpa Ivory's World War 2 Draft registration card had Harry Ordogne listed as the person that would always know his address. The 1940 Census showed that he wasn't living with his wife Dicey and children.  Harry Ordogne was one of his neighbors at the time of the draft Registrations were recorded. Great Grandpa Ivory was living on 1318 St. Charles St in Thibodaux which was the same address for him in 1950 Census of him living with his wife Dicey and children.   Harry was living on 1307 St. Charles St in Thibodaux which was the same address for him in 1940 Census. 

1920 Census showed Great Grandpa Ivory and his wife Dicey living on Bayou Lafourche Rd in Precinct  listed between a Thibodeaux household and a Boudreaux household.  The Boudreaux household head's wife Josephine Thibodeaux Boudreaux  was Harry Ordogne's 1st cousin, and their grandfather Louis Ordogne was living in the Boudreaux household. The Thibodeaux household head Joachim Thibodaux was Harry and Josephine's 3rd Cousin.  All three were 2nd great grandchildren of Joseph Ford (had Huguenot ancestry) and  Rosalie Roger (Acadian with Quebecois).  My 3/4 Acadian 4th Great Grandmother Anastasia Bourgeois on my paternal grandmother Mary Alice Gaines' maternal grandfather James Cross' side was Rosalie's distant cousin through multiple Acadian ancestral families which I have grown to understand is highly typical for all people with Acadian ancestry.  All of the people that my Scott ancestors lived next to were  European American Creoles. They were recorded as white on all records.  According to their family trees, the Ordognes' ancestors include French (Acadian, Quebecois, and other French) German, Spanish, and Indigenous American. Their surname Ordogne was originally Ordonez from Spain. 


Exploring connection between Great Grandpa Ivory and Harry Ordogne

https://diversegenes.blogspot.com/2023/02/exploring-connection-between-great.html





I found Matthew's death index record that showed that he died on June 28, 1920 in Thibodaux at the age of 32.


 I found Matthew's son Freddie Scott's World War 2 Draft registration card with Great Grandpa Ivory listed as his uncle.  Like Grandpa Nolan, Freddie was born in Thibodaux in 1909. Unlike Grandpa Nolan who was shown to have died in 1944, there was no date of death on Freddie's World War 2 Draft registration card.  




1910 Census showed Pinkey was married to Nazary Johnson who was Great Grandma Carrie Johnson's older brother. My Great Grandparents seemed to have met through their siblings.  They were living in Police Jury Ward 5, Lafourche Parish. Joshua Joseph and Dicey Joseph was the household recorded right after Nazery and Pinkey's household. They were Great Grandpa Ivory's wife Dicey Wilson's paternal grandmother and paternal stepgrandfather.  


AncestryDNA confirmation of Carrie Johnson's son Nolan Scott being my paternal grandfather

https://diversegenes.blogspot.com/2023/01/ancestrydna-confirmation-of-carrie.html





Great Grandpa Ivory's first wife was Victoria Rhodes who was the sister of Madison Rhodes who married Maggie Williams who was a daughter of Great Grandma Carrie's much older sister Maria Johnson. Victoria died in 1912 which is the same year that her daughter Thelma with Great Grandpa Ivory was born. Thelma was raised by Victoria's parents.   This was confirmed to me by Thelma's first cousin removed of the later generation.. I had messaged her and explained to her about my relation to both Maggie Williams and Thelma Scott.


I told all my DNA matches (AncestryDNA and 23andme) and others that had Louisiana Scott ancestral families about what I found.


My AncestryDNA/Gedmatch  B. Morrison responded to my messages explaining our DNA connection in detail in regards to him being my paternal DNA relative match that shares E2b1 and sharing a Malagasy segment.  I also told him about my newfound information about my patrilineal roots.  He informed me that I am a 5th-8th Cousin match on his father's side.  He also informed me that his father's side of the family had significant European admixture that was evident in their features.  There is now confirmation that he and I are matching through our respective fathers. I am even more interested in finding out if he and I are of the same paternal line with our shared Y DNA haplogroup being E-BY101982 which is an African haplogroup that is very rare in the Americas. Only four men (including me) have been found to have the markers for E-BY101982. 


my Y DNA haplogroup E-BY101982

https://diversegenes.blogspot.com/2022/01/my-y-dna-haplogroup-e-by71723.html

https://diversegenes.blogspot.com/2023/02/my-familytreedna-ydna-haplogroup-report.html

my Malagasy segment and sharing it with a man that shares Y DNA E2b1 with me

https://diversegenes.blogspot.com/2023/01/my-filipinoaustronesian-segment.html


Scott wasn't my ancestral 'slave name'.  Daigre was.  Scott was actually the surname that my patrilineal ancestors chose.  Because of my African Y DNA haplogroup, I know that I don't have an Acadian patrilineal Daigre ancestor.  I cannot rule out 2nd Great Grandpa William having Acadian ancestors that have nothing to do with his patrilineal ancestry.  His paternal grandmother may have been the daughter of an Acadian Louisianan Daigre slaveowner and an African American slave.  Then she had a relationship with his paternal grandfather who had an African Y chromosome with E-BY10982 haplogroup. 


My FamilytreeDNA kit B6393 now has William Scott (was Daigre) b. 1865 in Baton Rouge, LA  listed along with my haplogroup E-BY101982 under E-haplogroup unmatched group in Scott Y DNA project. 


This pretty much adds to why I have problems taking surnames of African American families in family trees at face value. Over a year ago, I discovered that my paternal grandmother Mary Alice Gaines' maternal grandfather/my 2nd Great Grandfather James Cross' stepfather and maternal half siblings' surname Barrow was originally Boney.  His stepfather Bonnie Barrow was originally Chas Boney.  They were slaves in Lafourche Parish where 2nd Great Grandpa James' paternal grandfather/Anastasia Bourgeois' husband Benjamin Cross had his Orange Grove Plantation and 2nd Great Grandpa James' paternal aunt Priscilla's husband Charles M. Gillis had his plantation. Because of the Barrow surname, I originally thought they were owned by Robert Rufin Barrow who owned 16 plantations including one in Lafourche Parish. 


Barrow Family was originally Boney

https://diversegenes.blogspot.com/2021/11/barrow-family-was-originally-boney.html

learning the names of 2nd Great Grandpa James Cross' mother and stepfather

https://diversegenes.blogspot.com/2021/10/mystery-of-my-paternal-2nd-great.html

The connection between my African American Cross family in St Mary Parish and the European American Cross family in Lafourche Parish

https://diversegenes.blogspot.com/2021/10/connection-between-my-st-mary-parish.html


I don't know 2nd Great Grandma Maria's maiden name.  I believe that she was related to a Batiste family.  There were Batiste families that were neighbors to both Matthew (with 2nd Great Grandma Maria) and Great Grandpa Ivory.  The Batiste household head Simon Batiste that was Ivory's neighbor even had a son named Nolan.

https://diversegenes.blogspot.com/2023/02/connection-between-great-grandpa-ivory.html



I overlooked something in the 1920 Census Record when looking at  the Census Record of my great granduncle Matthew Scott with my 2nd Great Grandmother Maria.

My great grandaunt Pinky Johnson is listed right before them.

Her first name was mistranscribed as Pensley.

Aunt Pinky was actually listed under the same family number 120  as Matthew, his wife, his two sons, and 2nd Great Grandma Maria was.

The Census Records make it seem like Aunt Pinky was in a different household even though she wasn't. 

She was actually the head of the household. 

It wasn't Uncle Matthew.

Aunt Pinky married my great granduncle Nazary Johnson.

Now I found out that he died young just like my great granduncle Matthew did.

Uncle Matthew died just 6 months after the 1920 Census was taken.

Aunt Pinky lost her husband Nazary prematurely and then her brother Matthew prematurely.  Before all that, she lost her father William before 1920.

The 1910 Census showed that she and Nszary lost a child.   They appeared childless in the 1910 Census, but she was listed as giving birth to a child.

This is why you should always check the neighbors when looking at Census Records.









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Many Ethnic Groups and Languages of Africa - The Most Diverse Continent

This is a blog post about the ethnic groups of Africa which is a continent that consists of over 50 countries and has thousands of ethnic groups. What I have noticed about ethnic groups is that there no clear definition of what they are.  That's what I am noticing in countries in general. In regards to Africa,  I am seeing names of specific ethnic groups like Wolof, Mandinka, Fulani being listed for certain countries, and those ethnic groups are in multiple countries.  I am also seeing nationalities being listed for ethnic groups like Somali for Djibouti. I am seeing the continental backgrounds like African, European for Cabo Verde which is where my maternal grandfather's paternal grandparents immigrated to USA from when it was still a Portuguese colony. Of course, there is stuff like Bantu, Berbers, Arabs for ethnic groups I see color race names listed for ethnic groups like White for Saint Helena, Ascension, and Tristan da Cunha. The color race names make no sense any way for

Pictures of my Ancestors with Ancestral Surnames

This is a picture blog post  it includes information about ancestry and the ancestral surnames of one's four grandparents my GEDmatch kit number: M001327 my phased paternal GEDmatch kit number: PM001327P1 my phased maternal GEDmatch kit number: PM001327M1 my mother Cynthia Epps' GEDmatch kit number: M181342 my father's maternal half sister Carrie Simmons' GEDmatch kit number: A479363 starting with myself   Raymond Nolan Scott (original last name Andrews) son of Lawrence Nolan Scott (born in New Orleans, Louisiana) and Cynthia Renee Andrews (born in Oakland, California) born October 29, 1971 in San Francisco, California  ancestry: African American, Cape Verdean, Ashkenazi Jewish, Puerto Rican, Madeiran, English, Scottish, German, Irish, Swiss, Acadian, Welsh, Dutch, Frisian, Native American paternal grandfather: Scott, Daigre/Daigle (changed to Scott), Johnson, Hester, Poiner, Robinson paternal grandmother: Gaines, Cross, Johnson, Riley, Bourgeois, Bethea, Goodman, Stube

My Paternal Grandmother's Descent from Swiss Kinsey Family Through A Branch of The Family That Had African Ancestry

Last year, I learned that my paternal grandmother Mary Alice Gaines descended from a Kinsey family that immigrated to New Bern, Craven County, North Carolina from Switzerland in 1710. She descended from John Ripley Kinsey who was born in 1693 in Switzerland.  He was one of the few of the Kinsey family that survived the Massacre of 1710 by The Tuscarora Indigenous Americans. The Kinseys were not the ancestors of Grandma Mary's maternal grandfather's European American father James P. Cross who was the son of  English American plantation owner Benjamin Cross who was born in Gates County, North Carolina and 3/4 Acadian woman Anastasia Bourgeois who was born in Assumption Parish in the Acadiana region in Southern Louisiana.  They had to be the ancestors of one of Grandma Mary's African American great grandparents.  All of them were slaves in the Acadiana region.   The only one of Grandma Mary's great grandparents that was recorded as being born in the Carolinas was her pater