Skip to main content

My AncestryDNA Ethnicity Estimate Update

 This is a review about my AncestryDNA Ethnicity Estimate


My Genealogical Ancestry

I am a multicontinental American that is highly multiethnic, and I am related to many of my fellow Americans in many different ways.  

My paternal grandfather's father's ancestry was African American.  He had some European ancestry.

My paternal grandfather's mother's ancestry was African American.

My paternal grandmother's father's ancestry was African American.  He had some European ancestry. 

My paternal grandmother's mother's ancestry was African American with English, Acadian (French in what now known as Nova Scotia), Polish, Swiss, and German.  

My maternal grandfather's father 's ancestry was Cape Verdean (Portuguese and Sub-Saharan African) His parents were immigrants when Cape Verde was still a Portuguese colony.

My maternal grandfather's mother's ancestry was Puerto Rican (Spanish, Sub-Saharan African, and Taino) on her father's side and Madeiran (Portuguese with Sub Saharan African) on her mother's side. Her father was born in Puerto Rico. Her mother was born in Hawaii when it was still a kingdom. Her maternal grandparents immigrated to Hawaii. 

My maternal grandmother's father's ancestry was Colonial European American that was mainly English ancestry with some German, Swiss, Scottish, Irish, Welsh, Dutch, and Frisian.

My maternal grandmother's mother' ancestry was Ashkenazi Jewish American. Her father immigrated from Romania and her mother immigrated from an area in the Russian Empire that became Latvia. 


Because of the Transatlantic Slave trade, I know very little about my African ancestry. Africa has over 3,000 ethnic groups, and that includes Nigeria having over 400 ethnic groups.  My African ancestry is highly likely to consist of many African ethnic groups. I have some Indigenous American segments on my paternal chromosomes and not just my maternal chromosomes and X Chromosome. I have some Danish paternal DNA relative matches.  From examining my European American paternal DNA relative matches, I learned that my father was a descendant of John Turner and his wife Patience Smith.  John was the son of English American slaveowner Thomas Weathersbee and an unknown enslaved African American woman.  Patience was 3/4 European and 1/4 African. Her mother Rachel was Irish. Her father was half African, half European. She purchased her husband's freedom from his father in 1769 in Halifax County, North Carolina. They relocated to Marion County, South Carolina. I share segments with some of John and Patience's European American descendants that consist of what 23andme shows as being predominantly Southeastern African with a little Filipino/Austronesian. A French man with a paternal grandmother born in the Southeastern African island Madagascar matches me in the location that is Filipino/Austronesian. 23andme shows him as having Southeastern African and Filipino/Austronesian ancestry. His paternal grandmother was part Malagasy.

My highly mixed, diverse ancestry is reflected in my DNA relative matches at AncestryDNA, 23andme, FamilyTreeDNA, MyHeritage, and GEDmatch.



AncestryDNA has my paternal European as being only 4%, and that it is all French.  

The vast majority of my European ancestry is on my maternal side.

I am shown as having 14% Spanish and 1% Sephardic Jewish with it all being on my maternal side.

My mother is shown as having only 2% Spanish and having no Sephardic Jewish though. 

AncestryDNA is definitely not phasing the data between parent and child


My mother is shown as having 32% Portuguese, and I am shown as having 6% Portuguese.  My maternal grandfather's Portuguese ancestry was from both Madeira and Cape Verde.  Both are Atlantic archipleagos that were colonized by the Portuguese. Cape Verde became an independent African nation in 1975. Madeira is an autonomous region of Portugal. 

My mother is shown as having 24% Ashkenazi Jewish, and I am shown as having 14% Ashkenazi Jewish. 

 I am certain that Ancestry is having problems distinguishing Spanish from Portuguese with their strongly shared history and ancestry in the Iberian Peninsula.  Spanish and Portuguese are very genetically similar.

I am also certain that some of my mother's Jewish ancestry is Sephardic Jewish with it coming from my my maternal grandfather's side which is Cape Verdean, Puerto Rican, and Madeiran as well as maybe Azorean.  Sephardic Jewish and Ashkenazi Jewish are very genetically similar. 

Ancestry need need to stop rounding off ethnicities. DNA isn't all even.  They need to stop dismissing ethnicities that are well under 1%. My Filipino/Austronesian segment is real. I should also have some Southeastern African in my ethnicity estimate. The Transatlantic slave trade did include Southeastern Africa including Mozambique and Madagascar.  There are African Americans that match me on my Indigenous American segment, and some of them are shown as having no Indigenous American ancestry. Some of that are shown as having Indigenous American ancestry are shown as having a different type of Indigenous American. I doubt that my paternal Indigenous American is from Ecuador.  There are European Americans that match me on my African segments and are shown as having no African ancestry.

African regions needs to be broken down. Africa is a continent with enormous amount of diversity.  There are many ethnic groups in the African regions/countries, and many of the African ethnic groups are found in multiple African regions/countries. 

I have ethnic analyses from many DNA companies/sites, and they're all significantly different from each other.  During my 13 years of doing Genetic Genealogy, I've grown to take ethnic analyses with a strong grain of salt. I focus mainly on DNA relative matches. 

https://diversegenes.blogspot.com/2021/09/my-ethnic-analyses-ancestrydna-23andme.html

https://diversegenes.blogspot.com/2024/07/my-myheritage-ethnicity-estimate.html

https://diversegenes.blogspot.com/2024/01/my-genetic-ancestry-with-haplogroups.html

 










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Many Ethnic Groups and Languages of Africa - The Most Diverse Continent

This is a blog post about the ethnic groups of Africa which is a continent that consists of over 50 countries and has thousands of ethnic groups. What I have noticed about ethnic groups is that there no clear definition of what they are.  That's what I am noticing in countries in general. In regards to Africa,  I am seeing names of specific ethnic groups like Wolof, Mandinka, Fulani being listed for certain countries, and those ethnic groups are in multiple countries.  I am also seeing nationalities being listed for ethnic groups like Somali for Djibouti. I am seeing the continental backgrounds like African, European for Cabo Verde which is where my maternal grandfather's paternal grandparents immigrated to USA from when it was still a Portuguese colony. Of course, there is stuff like Bantu, Berbers, Arabs for ethnic groups I see color race names listed for ethnic groups like White for Saint Helena, Ascension, and Tristan da Cunha. The color race names make no sense any way for

Pictures of my Ancestors with Ancestral Surnames

This is a picture blog post  it includes information about ancestry and the ancestral surnames of one's four grandparents my GEDmatch kit number: M001327 my phased paternal GEDmatch kit number: PM001327P1 my phased maternal GEDmatch kit number: PM001327M1 my mother Cynthia Epps' GEDmatch kit number: M181342 my father's maternal half sister Carrie Simmons' GEDmatch kit number: A479363 starting with myself   Raymond Nolan Scott (original last name Andrews) son of Lawrence Nolan Scott (born in New Orleans, Louisiana) and Cynthia Renee Andrews (born in Oakland, California) born October 29, 1971 in San Francisco, California  ancestry: African American, Cape Verdean, Ashkenazi Jewish, Puerto Rican, Madeiran, English, Scottish, German, Irish, Swiss, Acadian, Welsh, Dutch, Frisian, Native American paternal grandfather: Scott, Daigre/Daigle (changed to Scott), Johnson, Hester, Poiner, Robinson paternal grandmother: Gaines, Cross, Johnson, Riley, Bourgeois, Bethea, Goodman, Stube

My Paternal Grandmother's Descent from Swiss Kinsey Family Through A Branch of The Family That Had African Ancestry

Last year, I learned that my paternal grandmother Mary Alice Gaines descended from a Kinsey family that immigrated to New Bern, Craven County, North Carolina from Switzerland in 1710. She descended from John Ripley Kinsey who was born in 1693 in Switzerland.  He was one of the few of the Kinsey family that survived the Massacre of 1710 by The Tuscarora Indigenous Americans. The Kinseys were not the ancestors of Grandma Mary's maternal grandfather's European American father James P. Cross who was the son of  English American plantation owner Benjamin Cross who was born in Gates County, North Carolina and 3/4 Acadian woman Anastasia Bourgeois who was born in Assumption Parish in the Acadiana region in Southern Louisiana.  They had to be the ancestors of one of Grandma Mary's African American great grandparents.  All of them were slaves in the Acadiana region.   The only one of Grandma Mary's great grandparents that was recorded as being born in the Carolinas was her pater