Skip to main content

Learning About My Scott Family of Lafourche Parish

 I got my father's 1993 death certificate, and a name of an aunt was listed on there named Florence Dawson with a certain address in Los Angeles.  I know that I have no aunts nor great aunts with that name on my paternal grandmother's side.  Therefore, it had to be on my paternal grandfather's side

I searched ancestry.com and found her birth month and year.

I did a background check. I found out that she died in 2012. I found that her children, grandchildren are living in Los Angeles area.  I messaged one of my cousins on facebook.


His birth certificate says that he was born on January 2, 1941 in New Orleans, Louisiana.  His parents are listed as Lawrence Nolan Scott and Alice Gaines.  His mother's name was actually Mary Alice Gaines, but her middle name was put down as her first name in Censuses of the time she was with her parents. 


I found out that Florence was born on November 22, 1922 and died on March 14, 2012.

I also did a Census Record search of my Grandaunt Florence 

I found out that she was the daughter of Ivory Scott and his wife Dicey.

Dicey Scott was listed as head of household and was the mother of Florence and her siblings,   I have seen the Census record before, and I had dismissed it because of a much younger Nolan.  I thought it might be relatives, but I didn't think that these were Grandpa Nolan's intermediate family members.

 

Hopefully, I checked the 1930 Census,  and I saw Ivory Scott was head of household.  He was Dicey's husband and the father of Florence and her siblings.  I had discovered Grandpa Nolan's father.  I discovered my great grandfather.  The record show that he was a World War 1 veteran.  He was shown as being born in Louisiana with father's birthplace being Virginia and mother's being birthplace being a Virginian.  Therefore, his father brought a very rare E-M85 (aka E2b1) Y DNA haplogroup into Louisiana from Virginia.

My Y DNA Haplogroup E-BY101982


Ivory and Dicey's other children were Wilson, Florence, Odessa, Alberta, Nolan, Clarence, and Emmanuel.  Everybody was recorded as being born in Louisiana. 




I checked other Censuses.  Even though Great Grandpa Ivory was not shown living with family in 1940 Census, he was shown living with the family in the 1950 Census.  I don't know why he wasn't with his family at the time of the 1940 Census.



I found 1910 Census records for who I thought was Ivory Scott, but it was a different Ivory Scott

I found Great Grandpa Ivory's Draft Registration  Record showing that he was born on October 22, 1893 in Assumption Parish. His current address was in Lafourche, Louisiana.






I found military transport records of Great Grandpa Ivory showing that he was living in Barker & Lapine (listed as employer on draft registration card) in Lafourche Parish and that his mother was Marrian. 

I was curious about why Barker & Lapine was listed as both his residence and employer.


I looked it up and found this:

LAUREL VALLEY SUGAR PLANTATION: THIBODAUX, LOUISIANA

In 1893, the plantation was taken over and purchased by the partnership of Frank Barker and J. Wilson Lepine who changed the face of Laurel Valley’s business and had previously operated Melodia Plantation about four miles south and one-sixth the size of Laurel Valley, bringing with them plenty of sugar farming background, but with the agricultural capitalism of Yankee enterprise.  They not only ground and manufactured their own sugar cane, but also that of their neighbors and any tenants who rented their land.  Production increased until the decline of the sugar cane industry after World War I, and production levels halved between 1919 and 1925 from the levels between 1899 and 1918.  This also came with the decline of the great Louisiana Sugar Bowl as well as diseased cane stalks that simply could not yield as much sugar cane.  The plantation fell into debt again, relying on New Orleans banks for day to day credit.  On February 4th, 1926, one month after the death of Lepine, Whitney Bank of New Orleans took over the management of the plantation’s financial operations.  The mill remained open that year, but sugar yields were too low to continue operation, and the mill shut its doors.  The bank was unable to find a buyer and arranged for Wilson Lepine Jr. to manage the agricultural operations of Laurel Valley.  It took Wilson 17 years to pay of debts, and the plantation was mortgage free by 1945, but was no longer grinding its own sugar and instead transporting cane to nearby factories.







I also found a 1940 Military Registration of Great Great Grandpa Ivory being born on October 27, 1896 in Assumption Parish.  Ancestry.com record says next of kin is Harry Ordoyne.   The registration card says Harry Ordoyne is the person who will always know his address.  In the 1940 Census, he was not recorded as being with his wife and children. 









Hoping that Harry Ordoyne was an uncle that would point to Great Grandpa Ivory's mother being of the Ordoyne family,  I found that he was a European American.   Therefore, I dropped that idea.



I found the 1920 US Census of Great Grandpa Ivory and his wife Dicey living on a farm on Bayou Lafourche Road in Precinct 3, Lafourche Parish.

I checked 1920 Census images which show that Great Grandpa Ivory and his wife were living among Cajuns in a farming community.    The Scott household was listed between a Thibodeaux household and a Boudreaux household that was wrongly transcribed as Bondux. I am sure that they were my distant cousins for Boudreau is one of my ancestral families on the side of my 4th Great Grandmother Anastasia Bourgeois who was 3/4 Acadian. She and her husband Benjamin Cross were the grandparents of my paternal grandmother's father James Cross.  Louis Ordogne was shown to be the grandfather of the head of the household.  He was also the grandfather of Harry Ordogne whose name was on Great Grandpa Ivory's World War 2 draft registration card.  Therefore, I believe that there was a connection between Great Grandpa Ivory and the Ordogne family. 





Great Grandpa Ivory and Dicey's daughter Odessa married Alfred Porche in Thibodaux, Lafourche Parish, Louisiana on September 23, 1946.



My Grandaunt Odessa's social security record revealed to me that she relocated to Los Angeles, California and died there like my Grandaunt Florence did. 



I found out my Granduncle Emmanuel Scott married Joan Hunter in Los Angeles.    He relocated to California like Grandaunts Florence and Odessa.  I wondered if this was the uncle that got my father to relocate to Los Angeles and got him into selling drugs which led to him spending time in prison before he met my mother in my birthplace San Francisco.



Social Security Death Record show that my Granduncle Emmanuel was born on May 1, 1936 in Louisiana and died on February 27, 1975 in Los Angeles.  He died shortly before his 40th birthday.  Obviously, he didn't die of natural causes. 



I found a social record showing that Ivory Scott was the father of  Thelma (Scott) Hagan with Victoria Rhodes who was born on January 2, 1912 in Thibodeux, Louisiana and that she died on October 18, 1976.  She and my father had the same birthday.


My Grandaunt Thelma's mother, Victoria Rhodes happens to be one of the sisters of Madison Rhodes who married Maggie Williams who was the daughter of Great Grandma Carrie's much older sister Maria.  Madison and Maggie were the ancestors of the two AncestryDNA matches that I posted about confirming that Carrie Johnson's son Nolan Scott was my paternal grandfather. 



AncestryDNA Confirmation of Carrie Johnson's son Nolan Scott being my Paternal Grandfather



1920 US Census Record shows Thelma living with her Grandparents without her mother in the household.  I saw family trees list Victoria's death year as the same year as Thelma's birth year.  Victoria may have died in childbirth.




Looking at the Census Records,  I noticed

note:
Police Jury Ward 5,  Lafourche Parish


Family Number 401:
Mack Scott - head



Family Number 407:
Rosanna Johnson - head, my 2nd Great Grandmother who was a widow at the time of the 1910 Census
Carrie Johnson - my great grandmother 
Nolan Scott - my grandfather who was 1 yr old at the time



I did know that both Mack Scott and the Johnson family with Grandpa Nolan were in Jury Ward 5, and Mack was one of the candidates that I had for Grandpa Nolan's father before I learned that Ivory Scott was Grandpa Nolan's father.  I didn't know that there were just six households between them until I looked at the Census images.  Now, I strongly suspect that Mack Scott was related to Great Grandpa Ivory. They could be brothers or cousins.  I think Great Grandpa Ivory met Great Grandma Carrie while visiting Mack. 


Then seven households after 2nd Great Grandma Rosanna's household is Henry Johnson's household.  Right after Henry Johnson's household is Hudson Williams' household.  William Hudson became Hudson Williams.  Hudson's wife Maria was  Great Grandma Carrie's sister. 


Family Number 414:
Henry Johnson - head, and he had the same name as 2nd Great Grandpa Harvey Johnson's father

Family Number 415:
Hudson Williams - head
Maria (Johnson) Williams - my grandaunt





Then two households after Hudson William's household is William Wilson's household. William was Dicey's father.  Great Grandpa Ivory may have met Dicey through my Johnson relatives. They clearly knew Dicey before Great Grandpa Ivory did. Dicey was only 11 years old at the time of the 1910 Census. The Wilsons were recorded as being mulattoes.  William Hudson became Hudson Williams.



The Johnsons, Wilsons, and Hudsons clearly knew each other since at least 1880.   1880 Census Records show that they lived and worked on the Drauzin Canciennes Plantation in Lafourche Parish.

At Dwelling Number 429 was Joshua Joseph with wife Dicey who was the mother of William Wilson who was Dicey Wilson's father. William named his daughter after his mother. 

At Dwelling Number 430 was William Hudson who was the father of William Hudson who married Maria Johnson who was Great Grandma Carrie's older sister.





At Dwelling Number 433 was Henry Johnson (born 1835 in Missouri) and his wife Mary Ann (born 1844 in Maryland), and they were the parents of 2nd Great Grandpa Harvey Johnson (born 1858 in Louisiana) who was living with them

At Dwelling Number 434 was Felix Pike and his wife Susan.  My 2nd Great Grandparents Harvey and Rosanna had a granddaughter Annie Pike who was living with Grandpa Nolan and 2nd Great Grandma Rosanna at the time of the 1910 US Census.


I definitely learned a bit about my Scott family.  
I learned Nolan Scott's parents were Ivory Scott and Carrie Johnson.
He had eight paternal half siblings.
Three of them relocated to Los Angeles with my father relocating later. 
Great Grandpa Ivory was a World War 1 army veteran.
Great Grandpa Ivory lived among Cajuns.
Great Grandpa Ivory has a significant connection with the Ordognes. 
All four of my paternal great grandparents were born in Acadiana parishes in Southern Louisiana. 
 

I still don't know who was Great Grandpa Ivory's father nor his mother Marrian's maiden name. I definitely want to find out what's the connection between Great Grandpa Ivory and the Ordognes. I am certain that Mack Scott was related to Great Grandpa Ivory. 

I can't find Great Grandpa Ivory in the 1900, 1910, and 1940 US Census Records.  I found others with the same name as him, but they are not my great grandfather. 



I have some AncestryDNA matches that are African Americans and descend from African American Scott ancestral families in Louisiana that include:


bigascott2
Shared DNA: 17 cM across 2 segments
Unweighted shared DNA: 26 cM
Longest segment: 20 cM

He is a 2nd Great Grandson of Lewis Scott (born 1844 ) and his wife Lou (born in 1846) who were born in Georgia and lived with their children (all born in Louisiana) in De Soto parish, Louisiana.


syp0871
L. Clark
with both
Shared DNA: 15 cM across 1 segments
Unweighted shared DNA: 15 cM
Longest segment: 15 cM

The two women are 2nd Cousins. Their maternal grandmothers were sisters with both being daughters of Lee Andrew Scott (born 1865) and Ida Mae Watson who were born in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.  Lee was the son of Pompey Scott (born in Mississippi in 1845) and his wife Celia (born in Louisiana in 1847), and they lived with their children (all born in Louisiana) in East Feliciana parish, Louisiana.


S.G.
Shared DNA: 14 cM across 1 segments
Unweighted shared DNA: 14 cM
Longest segment: 14 cM

She was a grand daughter of Fletcher Scott (born in 1876) and his wife Irene (born in 1885) who were born in Louisiana and lived with their children (all born in Louisiana) in De Soto Parish, Louisiana.


D. Sumbler
Shared DNA: 14 cM across 2 segments
Unweighted shared DNA: 21 cM
Longest segment: 13 cM

She is a Louisiana Creole with deep roots in Louisiana that includes French. Both she and I descend from the Acadian ancestral families Dugas, Boudreau, Bourg, and Aucoin.  Therefore, she is definitely related to me on my paternal grandmother Mary's side, and she could be a DNA relative match on that side with a shared European segment. She is a 3rd Great Granddaughter of John Scott (born 1800) and his wife Sarah (born 1815) who were born in Virginia and lived with their children (all born in Louisiana) in Natchitoches parish, Louisiana.  
Both she and I were assigned Louisiana Creoles & African American community.


E. Wilbon
Shared DNA: 12 cM across 1 segments
Unweighted shared DNA: 12 cM
Longest segment: 12 cM

She is a 3rd Great Granddaughter of Isaac Scott (born 1825 in Virginia) and his wife Elizabeth (born in 1827 in Louisiana) and lived with their children (all born in Louisiana) in St. Landry parish, Louisiana.



A. Roberts
Shared DNA: 11 cM across 1 segments
Unweighted shared DNA: 14 cM
Longest segment: 14 cM

She is a 4th Great Granddaughter of Daniel Scott  (born in 1810) and his wife Eliza (born in 1820) who were born in Louisiana and lived with their children (all born in Louisiana) in East Feliciana Parish, Louisiana.


Y. Green
Shared DNA: 8 cM across 1 segments
Unweighted shared DNA: 13 cM
Longest segment: 13 cM

She is Great Granddaughter of William Scott (born in 1889) and his wife Emma (born in 1898) who were born in Louisiana and lived with their children (all born in Louisiana) in Shreveport, Caddo parish, Louisiana.
Both she and I were assigned Louisiana Creoles & African Americans community.


At 23andme,   I share a 28 cM segment on an Sub Saharan African segment on paternal Chromosome 21 with an African American woman S. Rhodes who lives in New Orleans.  Three of her grandparents were born in New Orleans. Her paternal grandfather was born in Houma, Terrebonne parish, Louisiana. Scott and Rhodes are two of her ancestral families.















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Many Ethnic Groups and Languages of Africa - The Most Diverse Continent

This is a blog post about the ethnic groups of Africa which is a continent that consists of over 50 countries and has thousands of ethnic groups. What I have noticed about ethnic groups is that there no clear definition of what they are.  That's what I am noticing in countries in general. In regards to Africa,  I am seeing names of specific ethnic groups like Wolof, Mandinka, Fulani being listed for certain countries, and those ethnic groups are in multiple countries.  I am also seeing nationalities being listed for ethnic groups like Somali for Djibouti. I am seeing the continental backgrounds like African, European for Cabo Verde which is where my maternal grandfather's paternal grandparents immigrated to USA from when it was still a Portuguese colony. Of course, there is stuff like Bantu, Berbers, Arabs for ethnic groups I see color race names listed for ethnic groups like White for Saint Helena, Ascension, and Tristan da Cunha. The color race names make no sense any way for

Pictures of my Ancestors with Ancestral Surnames

This is a picture blog post  it includes information about ancestry and the ancestral surnames of one's four grandparents my GEDmatch kit number: M001327 my phased paternal GEDmatch kit number: PM001327P1 my phased maternal GEDmatch kit number: PM001327M1 my mother Cynthia Epps' GEDmatch kit number: M181342 my father's maternal half sister Carrie Simmons' GEDmatch kit number: A479363 starting with myself   Raymond Nolan Scott (original last name Andrews) son of Lawrence Nolan Scott (born in New Orleans, Louisiana) and Cynthia Renee Andrews (born in Oakland, California) born October 29, 1971 in San Francisco, California  ancestry: African American, Cape Verdean, Ashkenazi Jewish, Puerto Rican, Madeiran, English, Scottish, German, Irish, Swiss, Acadian, Welsh, Dutch, Frisian, Native American paternal grandfather: Scott, Daigre/Daigle (changed to Scott), Johnson, Hester, Poiner, Robinson paternal grandmother: Gaines, Cross, Johnson, Riley, Bourgeois, Bethea, Goodman, Stube

My Paternal Grandmother's Descent from Swiss Kinsey Family Through A Branch of The Family That Had African Ancestry

Last year, I learned that my paternal grandmother Mary Alice Gaines descended from a Kinsey family that immigrated to New Bern, Craven County, North Carolina from Switzerland in 1710. She descended from John Ripley Kinsey who was born in 1693 in Switzerland.  He was one of the few of the Kinsey family that survived the Massacre of 1710 by The Tuscarora Indigenous Americans. The Kinseys were not the ancestors of Grandma Mary's maternal grandfather's European American father James P. Cross who was the son of  English American plantation owner Benjamin Cross who was born in Gates County, North Carolina and 3/4 Acadian woman Anastasia Bourgeois who was born in Assumption Parish in the Acadiana region in Southern Louisiana.  They had to be the ancestors of one of Grandma Mary's African American great grandparents.  All of them were slaves in the Acadiana region.   The only one of Grandma Mary's great grandparents that was recorded as being born in the Carolinas was her pater