Skip to main content

My Patrilineal 2nd Great Grandfather William's Paternal Daggs and Maternal Smith Ancestral Families


William Henry Daggs Sr. and Mary Smith were the parents of my patrilineal 2nd Great Grandfather William Henry Daggs Jr aka William Scott.  They lived in Assumption Parish and Lafourche Parish which are in the Acadiana region which is located in Southern Louisiana.  They were recorded as Daigle in Census records, but they were not related to any Daigles of Acadian ancestry. 2nd Great Grandfather William wasn't even recorded as Scott in any of the Censuses.  The only record of him as Scott is his 1888 marriage record with my 2nd Great Grandmother Maria Lilly.  He was recorded as having the last name Dag-- (the last two letters hard to make out) in 1900 Census along with my 2nd Great Grandmother Maria and their children Pinky, Matthew, and Ivory (my Great Grandfather). He was recorded as having the last name Daigle in 1910 Census with my 2nd Great Grandmother Maria. He was recorded as Daggs in 1920 Census. He divorced my 2nd Great Grandmother Maria before 1920 and married a sister of his brother-in-law.  He was the informant on his father's death certificate which names John W. Daggs and Rachel as parents. 

I saw that my 2nd Great Grandfather's brother Frank Daggs reported his mother's birthplace as Maryland in two Censuses. I noticed that Ambrose Anderson's household was recorded right before my 2nd Great Granduncle Frank Daggs' household in 1900 Census. I searched Ambrose Anderson, and I found that he was in household that was recorded five places after Jetson Smith's household in 1880 Census.  Jetson Smith was living with wife Kitty Smith and mother Kitty Smith in Lafourche Parish, Louisiana.  Jetson and his mother Kitty were recorded as being born in Maryland. 

In 1900,  Judson Smith's household was the 5th household recorded after Goode household which which was headed by Reuben Goode.  Reuben's wife was Ollie Lilly who was a younger sister of my 2nd Great Grandmother Maria Lilly who was married to my 2nd Great Grandfather William Henry Daggs Jr. aka William Scott. My Smith relatives and my Lilly relatives definitely knew each other.


Both of my 2nd Great Grandfather William's parents were slaves brought to New Orleans from Alexandria, District of Columbia in 1835 as children. After being freed from slavery, his father William served in a Union infantry during the Civil War. 


According to New Orleans, Louisiana, U.S., Slave Manifests records


arrive to New Orleans from Alexandria, District of Columbia on October 1, 1835

Enslaver: John Armfield

ship: Tribune

Rachel Dags - sex: female, age: 35, race: black, complexion: black

Charles Dags - sex: male, age: 21, race: black, complexion: black

Eliza Dags - sex: female, age: 14, race: black, complexion: black

Joseph Dags - sex: male, age: 12, race: black, complexion: black

Ellen Dags - sex: female, age: 9, race: black, complexion: black

William Henry Dags - sex: male, age: 7, race: black, complexion: black

Ann Dags - sex: female, age: 1, race: black, complexion: black


arrived to New Orleans from Alexandria, District of Columbia on December 2, 1835

Enslaver - John F. Leigh

ship - Potomac

Neddy Smith - sex: male, age: 26, race:black,  complexion: dark mulatto

Alexius Smith - sex: male, age: 24, race: black,  complexion: dark mulatto

Kitty Smith -  sex: female, age: 26, race : black, complexion: nearly black 

Judson Smith - sex: male, age: 2, race:black, complexion: dark mulatto

Mary Louise Smith - sex: female, age: 4/12, race: black, complexion: mulatto


my blog post Corrections About my Paternal Grandfather Nolan Scott's family and Death Certificate Information

It includes information about my Daggs ancestral family that were known to have been recorded as Daigle in some Census Records.  It also includes information about my Lilly ancestral family and Goode family.  My Lilly ancestral family on my paternal Grandfather Nolan Scott's side were neighbors of my Gaines and Riley ancestral families on my paternal Grandmother Mary Alice Gaines' side at the time of the 1880 Census. 

https://diversegenes.blogspot.com/2023/06/corrections-about-my-paternal.html


This is a blog posts about Charles Daggs who was one of my 3rd Great Grandfather William Daggs' brothers. 

 He was owned by the Governor of Louisiana Henry Johnson.   

He lived the rest of his life in Hammond, Tangipahoa Parish, Louisiana. He established Greater St. James AME Church there.  He was its first pastor.

He served in the Union Navy.  He was a powerful voice in the Africa American community after the Civil War. He advocated strongly for the voting rights of freed slaves. He once protested and testified at the courthouse in Greensburg, Louisiana. 

https://gstjameshistoricpreservation.blogspot.com/2017/07/charles-daggs-pioneer-who-stood-test-of.html

https://nurturingourroots.blogspot.com/2017/08/from-slave-shackles-to-becoming-mayor.html


Here is a Youtube video of my 5th Cousin Aisha L. Abdul Rahman discussing our Daggs ancestral family.  She's a 3rd Great Granddaughter of Joseph Daggs who was my 3rd Great Grandfather William Daggs' brother. I first learned about her when I was checking out family trees that had my Daggs ancestral family in them. She and I are now facebook friends. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwZkT0OrZWo


I am currently in the Dagg Surname Project.  I am the only that has a E Y DNA haplogroup.  I did the Big Y-700 test. My Y DNA haplogroup E-BY101982 is a known ultra rare Y DNA haplogroup.  Only five men have the markers for it, and I am the only man assigned to that specific Y DNA haplogroup. I have ten private Y DNA variants. 

E-BY101982 is a branch of  E-CTS4257 which may have originated in South Sudan in 3800 BCE. 

According to Haplogroup Story, my Y DNA E-BY101982 was formed in 850 CE when it branched off from the ancestor E-BY108741 with the most recent common ancestor estimated to have been born around 1100 CE. 

E-CTS4257's paternal line was formed when it branched off from the ancestor E-CTS694 and the rest of mankind around 5450 BCE. The man who is the most recent common ancestor of this line is estimated to have been born around 3750 BCE.  There are 94 men that have the markers for E-CTS4257. They specified that their earliest known origins are from Saudi Arabia, United States, Kenya, and 10 other countries. 

I share ancestral Y DNA haplogroup E-CTS4257 in common with a man who lived between 1790 and 1850 CE during the Pre-Civil War Age and was found in the region known as Catocin Furnace, Maryland, United States. He was associated with the Enslaved African American cultural group.

https://diversegenes.blogspot.com/2023/02/my-familytreedna-ydna-haplogroup-report.html

https://diversegenes.blogspot.com/2024/01/my-y-dna-haplogroup-variants-and.html

https://diversegenes.blogspot.com/2024/10/my-y-dna-private-variants.html


I found NEVGEN Y-DNA Haplogroup Predictor.

I used it to find Aisha's granduncle's Y DNA haplogroup.  Aisha's granduncle is a grandson of Joseph Daggs who was one of my 3rd Great Grandfather William Henry Daggs' brothers.

 I calculated his STR mutations from his African Ancestry Patriclan results and my STR mutations from my African Ancestry Patriclan results.

 It turns out that both he and I have not just E2 Y DNA haplogroups. Both he and I have the markers for Y DNA haplogroup E-CTS4257 which is known to be very rare in the Americas.

I am 100% certain that if Aisha's granduncle did the Big Y-700 test, he would be shown to have E-BY101982 just like I have.  





Census Records

                                                


















New Orleans, Louisiana, U.S., Slave Manifests records









                                                    


William Daggs' Civil War Veteran Record





Judson Daggs' Death Certificate

William Daggs Sr's Death Certificate













Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Many Ethnic Groups and Languages of Africa - The Most Diverse Continent

This is a blog post about the ethnic groups of Africa which is a continent that consists of over 50 countries and has thousands of ethnic groups. What I have noticed about ethnic groups is that there no clear definition of what they are.  That's what I am noticing in countries in general. In regards to Africa,  I am seeing names of specific ethnic groups like Wolof, Mandinka, Fulani being listed for certain countries, and those ethnic groups are in multiple countries.  I am also seeing nationalities being listed for ethnic groups like Somali for Djibouti. I am seeing the continental backgrounds like African, European for Cabo Verde which is where my maternal grandfather's paternal grandparents immigrated to USA from when it was still a Portuguese colony. Of course, there is stuff like Bantu, Berbers, Arabs for ethnic groups I see color race names listed for ethnic groups like White for Saint Helena, Ascension, and Tristan da Cunha. The color race names make no sense any way for

Pictures of my Ancestors with Ancestral Surnames

This is a picture blog post  it includes information about ancestry and the ancestral surnames of one's four grandparents my GEDmatch kit number: M001327 my phased paternal GEDmatch kit number: PM001327P1 my phased maternal GEDmatch kit number: PM001327M1 my mother Cynthia Epps' GEDmatch kit number: M181342 my father's maternal half sister Carrie Simmons' GEDmatch kit number: A479363 starting with myself   Raymond Nolan Scott (original last name Andrews) son of Lawrence Nolan Scott (born in New Orleans, Louisiana) and Cynthia Renee Andrews (born in Oakland, California) born October 29, 1971 in San Francisco, California  ancestry: African American, Cape Verdean, Ashkenazi Jewish, Puerto Rican, Madeiran, English, Scottish, German, Irish, Swiss, Acadian, Welsh, Dutch, Frisian, Native American paternal grandfather: Scott, Daigre/Daigle (changed to Scott), Johnson, Hester, Poiner, Robinson paternal grandmother: Gaines, Cross, Johnson, Riley, Bourgeois, Bethea, Goodman, Stube

My Paternal Grandmother's Descent from Swiss Kinsey Family Through A Branch of The Family That Had African Ancestry

Last year, I learned that my paternal grandmother Mary Alice Gaines descended from a Kinsey family that immigrated to New Bern, Craven County, North Carolina from Switzerland in 1710. She descended from John Ripley Kinsey who was born in 1693 in Switzerland.  He was one of the few of the Kinsey family that survived the Massacre of 1710 by The Tuscarora Indigenous Americans. The Kinseys were not the ancestors of Grandma Mary's maternal grandfather's European American father James P. Cross who was the son of  English American plantation owner Benjamin Cross who was born in Gates County, North Carolina and 3/4 Acadian woman Anastasia Bourgeois who was born in Assumption Parish in the Acadiana region in Southern Louisiana.  They had to be the ancestors of one of Grandma Mary's African American great grandparents.  All of them were slaves in the Acadiana region.   The only one of Grandma Mary's great grandparents that was recorded as being born in the Carolinas was her pater