Skip to main content

Discovering A Paternal Half-brother At 23andme

 I received a message from a relative on 23andme just saying "Hey".  It was from a man named Mclain in Tennessee.

I checked out what our relationship is. It says "Half Brother" on my father's side!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shared DNA: 24.39%  1815cM 

My father Lawrence Nolan Scott that I grew up not knowing had another son 5 years after I was born!!!

I grew up not knowing that I have a half brother!

I already knew that my father had a daughter before he met my mother.

He was born and raised in Oregon like his mother and maternal grandparents were.  I was born and raised in California like my mother, both her parents, and both her paternal grandparents. Our father was born and raised in New Orleans, Louisiana. He had relocated to Los Angeles, California to be with one of his paternal uncles. Then he later lived in my birthplace San Francisco, Seattle, and Portland. He was found dead in Littlerock, California in 1993.  I found out about his death on New Year's Eve 2002/2003.  

Mclain was adopted by a European American couple. 

Mclain has a wife, a son, and a daughter. Therefore,  I am a brother-in-law and an uncle.


Ethnic comparisons

(23andme includes X Chromosome)

His European is 58.4% and mine is 47.5% with 43.2% inherited from my mother and 4.3% inherited from my father 

His Sub Saharan African is 40.9% and mine is 49.7% with 43.4% inherited from my father and 6.3% inherited from my mother

His Indigenous American is 0.2% and mine is 1.7% with 1.0% inherited from my mother and 0.7% inherited from my father

His Chinese & Southeast Asian is 0.0% and mine is 0.3% with all of it inherited from my father

His Northern West Asian is 0.0% and mine is 0.6% with all of it inherited from my mother.

His North African is 0.2% and mine is 0.0%

His Unassigned is 0.2% and mine is 0.2% with all of it inherited from my mother


Our father was African American.  

His mother was European American. 

My mother's ancestry is quite mixed.  Her paternal grandfather was a first generation Cape Verdean (Portuguese and Sub Saharan African) American. Her paternal grandmother was the daughter of a Puerto Rican (Spanish, Sub Saharan African, Taino) man and a Hawaiian-born woman whose parents were Madeiran (Portuguese with some Sub Saharan African) immigrants.  Her maternal grandfather's ancestry was Colonial European American of mostly English with some German, Swiss, Scottish, Irish, Welsh, Dutch, and Frisian.  Her maternal grandmother was first generation Ashkenazi Jewish American with a father born in Romania and a mother born in Courland in an area in the Russian Empire that became Latvia. 

 23andme shows her as 86.3% European, 10.1% Sub Saharan African, 1.9% Indigenous American, 1.0% Northern West Asian, 0.2% Arab, Egyptian & Levantine, 0.2% Broadly Western Asian & North African, and 0.3% Unassigned.



Both of us have European Mitochondrial DNA haplogroups.  His is H6a1b2.  23andme shows mine as J1c, but FamilyTreeDNA shows a more refined haplogroup of J1c14. https://diversegenes.blogspot.com/2021/08/my-mitochondrial-dna-haplogroup-j1c14.html

Of course, we share the same Y DNA haplogroup E-M85 which is Sub Saharan African. Family TreeDNA testing shows as more refined haplogroup of E-BY101982 https://diversegenes.blogspot.com/2022/01/my-y-dna-haplogroup-e-by71723.html

He has more Neanderthal ancestry than 2% of 23andme customers, and I have more Neanderthal ancestry than 3% of 23andme customers. Surprisingly, I have a little more Neanderthal ancestry even though he has more Eurasian ancestry.

Both of his maternal grandparents were born in Oregon which I know that my father was living in.

He and I share predominantly Sub Saharan African DNA along with some European DNA and tiny bit of Indigenous American DNA.


Our longest shared segment is 142.14 cM at location 1-3839770 on Chromosome 4
Our shortest shared segment is 5.5 cM at location 1-27711752 on Chromosome 3

We share European segments on Chromosomes 5, 6, 8, 10, 15, 17, 20.
The European segments that we share on Chromosomes 5, 8, 15, and 20 are people that we match with Acadian ancestry.
The longest shared European DNA segment is on Chromosome 5, and that's where we match people with Acadian ancestry.
We share an Indigenous American segment on Chromosome 6, and it's right next to a European segment.  Our father's maternal half-sister Carrie matches in the same location on the European Chromosome 5 and 15 segments as well as the European and Indigenous American Chromosome 6 segments.  

Our paternal grandmother Mary Alice (Gaines) Simmons' maternal grandfather James Cross was the son of an African American slave woman Laura and a European American man that was a son of North Carolina-born English American plantation/slaveowner  Benjamin Cross and a Southern Louisiana-born 3/4 Acadian woman Anastasia Bourgeois.  The vast majority of my paternal European segment matches are through shared Acadian ancestry.  The Acadians are such an endogamous people that I believe that everybody that has Acadian ancestry are related to each other through at least one shared pair of 17th Century French ancestors. 


Chromosome 5  88902545 -173011497 (88236942 - 173267556 is Acadian)

Chromosome 8 140974670 - 146067054 (139208813 - 146293414 is Acadian) 

Chromosome 15 58234213 - 99127913 (57602999 - 69115354 is Acadian) 

Chromosome 20 1704114 - 56322962 (15461635 - 42802736 is Acadian)




Total population of people with Acadian ancestry

~500,000 – 2,000,000

Regions with significant populations

United States - 901,260

Canada - 96,145[ or at least 500,000

France - 20,400

Quebec, Canada - 32,950

New Brunswick, Canada - 25,400

Nova Scotia, Canada - 11,180

Ontario, Canada - 8,745

Prince Edward Island, Canada -  3,020

Saint Pierre and Miquelon - 3,000

Brittany - 3,000

Maine, United States - 30,000

Louisiana, United States - 815,260


My phased paternal GEDmatch kit - PM001327P1





























Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Many Ethnic Groups and Languages of Africa - The Most Diverse Continent

This is a blog post about the ethnic groups of Africa which is a continent that consists of over 50 countries and has thousands of ethnic groups. What I have noticed about ethnic groups is that there no clear definition of what they are.  That's what I am noticing in countries in general. In regards to Africa,  I am seeing names of specific ethnic groups like Wolof, Mandinka, Fulani being listed for certain countries, and those ethnic groups are in multiple countries.  I am also seeing nationalities being listed for ethnic groups like Somali for Djibouti. I am seeing the continental backgrounds like African, European for Cabo Verde which is where my maternal grandfather's paternal grandparents immigrated to USA from when it was still a Portuguese colony. Of course, there is stuff like Bantu, Berbers, Arabs for ethnic groups I see color race names listed for ethnic groups like White for Saint Helena, Ascension, and Tristan da Cunha. The color race names make no sense any way for

Pictures of my Ancestors with Ancestral Surnames

This is a picture blog post  it includes information about ancestry and the ancestral surnames of one's four grandparents my GEDmatch kit number: M001327 my phased paternal GEDmatch kit number: PM001327P1 my phased maternal GEDmatch kit number: PM001327M1 my mother Cynthia Epps' GEDmatch kit number: M181342 my father's maternal half sister Carrie Simmons' GEDmatch kit number: A479363 starting with myself   Raymond Nolan Scott (original last name Andrews) son of Lawrence Nolan Scott (born in New Orleans, Louisiana) and Cynthia Renee Andrews (born in Oakland, California) born October 29, 1971 in San Francisco, California  ancestry: African American, Cape Verdean, Ashkenazi Jewish, Puerto Rican, Madeiran, English, Scottish, German, Irish, Swiss, Acadian, Welsh, Dutch, Frisian, Native American paternal grandfather: Scott, Daigre/Daigle (changed to Scott), Johnson, Hester, Poiner, Robinson paternal grandmother: Gaines, Cross, Johnson, Riley, Bourgeois, Bethea, Goodman, Stube

My Ancestral Families in The Carolinas

 This is blog post is about my ancestral families in the Carolinas.  The  Carolinas  are the U.S. states of  North Carolina  and  South Carolina , considered collectively. They are bordered by  Virginia  to the north,  Tennessee  to the west, and  Georgia  to the southwest. The  Atlantic Ocean  is to the east. Combining North Carolina's population of 10,439,388 and South Carolina's of 5,118,425, the Carolinas have a collective population of 15,557,813 as of 2020. If the Carolinas were a single state of the United States, it would be the  fifth-most populous state , behind  California ,  Texas ,  Florida , and  New York . The Carolinas were known as the  Province of Carolina  during America's early  colonial  period, from 1663 to 1712. Prior to that, the land was considered part of the  Colony and Dominion of Virginia , from 1609 to 1663. The province, was named  Carolina  to honor King  Charles I of England . Carolina is taken from the  Latin  word for "Charles",