Skip to main content

My African Ancestry Patriclan Test Results

 I took the African Ancestry Patriclan test to find more information about my African patrilineal ancestry which I already knew that I had with the information of my E-M85 Y DNA haplogroup from 23andme and was told that my patrilineal ancestors were Akan in Ghana.

I know a man with the last name Koch who has both E-M85 Y DNA haplogroup and paternal African American roots in Louisiana like myself.   He was told that his patrilineal ancestry was Lissongo in Central Africa. Even though African Ancestry tests only 8 STR markers,  Koch and I have different ethnic group results even though both of us have E-M85 Y DNA haplogroups. He told me about his results before I took the test.  

I discussed my results with him, and he told me that African Ancestry was odd. He told me that he kinda thinks that it is not very reliable. Later on, he even told me that African Ancestry is nothing but an expensive haplogroup test. He told me that he had posted that on their facebook website years ago and that he was blocked by them for it. 

It makes me feel like it's a scam and they're taking advantage of the African Americans that desperately want to know their ancestral roots.  That it was an African American man that started the company makes it even worse. He's taking advantage of his own kind. I wouldn't recommend the Patriclan test nor the Matriclan test to anybody.  Before I got my Patriclan results, I thought about getting my father's maternal half sister take the Matriclan test to find more information about her matrilineal ancestry that I already knew about from the information of her daughter's L3e1 Mitochondrial DNA haplogroup from 23andme.


I grew up not knowing my father Lawrence Nolan Scott nor his side of the family. I didn't even know his parents' names until I got his birth certificate after I found him in Social Security Record index.  Years later, I am in touch with only my paternal grandmother Mary Alice Gaines' side.  I still haven't connected with my paternal grandfather Lawrence Nolan Scott Sr's side, and I still don't know the names of his parents. I don't even know how the patrilineal ancestry of having Scott as a last name came to be.  There is a strong possibility that my patrilineal ancestors may have  changed their last name after they were freed from slavery.  From 1870 US Census record, I recently found out that my paternal grandmother's maternal grandfather James Cross' Barrow maternal half siblings and stepfather were originally Boney with James' stepfather Bonnie Barrow having been recorded as Chas Boney  with his race being white which I was told that my 2nd Great Grandfather James' father was.  Bonnie was recorded as Boney Bearer with his race being black in 1880 US Census. I know that the great abolitionist Frederick Douglas' original name was Bailey since I first read about him when I was as teenager in 1980s. I have been knowing the history of African Americans changing their last names after getting freedom from slavery, and so I look at last names in African Americans' family tree with uncertainty. Ever since finding out the information about my 2nd Great Grandfather James' Barrow relatives, I look at them with even more uncertainty. 

I didn't always have Scott as my last name. My original last name was Andrews which was my mother's maiden name. I legally changed my last name in 2011 because I wanted to have my father last name.  Andrews was actually changed from Andrade by my maternal grandfather's paternal grandfather.  My maternal grandmother's paternal grandparents were immigrants from Cape Verde when it was still a Portuguese colony. 


I decided that I am just going to take FamilyTreeDNA's Big Y DNA test soon. 

Koch is the only man listed under E-M85 category in E-M75 Y DNA results, and he had only 12 STR markers tested which is more than African Ancestry's 8 STR markers amount for their Patriclan Clan test.

https://www.familytreedna.com/public/ydna_E-M75?iframe=yresults


locations of men that I see under E-M85 haplogroup branch which is estimated to have formed 17,200 years old

Saudi Arabia (Ar Riyad) , The Western Gambia, United Arab Emirates, Congo (Kinhasa), Saudi Arabia (Ash Sharquiyah), Western Kenya (Magharibi), Kenya, Saudi Arabia (Ha'il), Bahrain (Al Mahurraq), Bahrain (Al Janubiyah), South Africa, Zimbabwe (Midlands), Saudi Arabia (Ash Shaquiyah), Kuwait, Yemen (Shabwah), Kenya (Rift Valley), Saudi Arabia (Ar Riyad)

https://www.yfull.com/tree/E-M85/

















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Many Ethnic Groups and Languages of Africa - The Most Diverse Continent

This is a blog post about the ethnic groups of Africa which is a continent that consists of over 50 countries and has thousands of ethnic groups. What I have noticed about ethnic groups is that there no clear definition of what they are.  That's what I am noticing in countries in general. In regards to Africa,  I am seeing names of specific ethnic groups like Wolof, Mandinka, Fulani being listed for certain countries, and those ethnic groups are in multiple countries.  I am also seeing nationalities being listed for ethnic groups like Somali for Djibouti. I am seeing the continental backgrounds like African, European for Cabo Verde which is where my maternal grandfather's paternal grandparents immigrated to USA from when it was still a Portuguese colony. Of course, there is stuff like Bantu, Berbers, Arabs for ethnic groups I see color race names listed for ethnic groups like White for Saint Helena, Ascension, and Tristan da Cunha. The color race names make no sense any way for

Pictures of my Ancestors with Ancestral Surnames

This is a picture blog post  it includes information about ancestry and the ancestral surnames of one's four grandparents my GEDmatch kit number: M001327 my phased paternal GEDmatch kit number: PM001327P1 my phased maternal GEDmatch kit number: PM001327M1 my mother Cynthia Epps' GEDmatch kit number: M181342 my father's maternal half sister Carrie Simmons' GEDmatch kit number: A479363 starting with myself   Raymond Nolan Scott (original last name Andrews) son of Lawrence Nolan Scott (born in New Orleans, Louisiana) and Cynthia Renee Andrews (born in Oakland, California) born October 29, 1971 in San Francisco, California  ancestry: African American, Cape Verdean, Ashkenazi Jewish, Puerto Rican, Madeiran, English, Scottish, German, Irish, Swiss, Acadian, Welsh, Dutch, Frisian, Native American paternal grandfather: Scott, Daigre/Daigle (changed to Scott), Johnson, Hester, Poiner, Robinson paternal grandmother: Gaines, Cross, Johnson, Riley, Bourgeois, Bethea, Goodman, Stube

My Paternal Grandmother's Descent from Swiss Kinsey Family Through A Branch of The Family That Had African Ancestry

Last year, I learned that my paternal grandmother Mary Alice Gaines descended from a Kinsey family that immigrated to New Bern, Craven County, North Carolina from Switzerland in 1710. She descended from John Ripley Kinsey who was born in 1693 in Switzerland.  He was one of the few of the Kinsey family that survived the Massacre of 1710 by The Tuscarora Indigenous Americans. The Kinseys were not the ancestors of Grandma Mary's maternal grandfather's European American father James P. Cross who was the son of  English American plantation owner Benjamin Cross who was born in Gates County, North Carolina and 3/4 Acadian woman Anastasia Bourgeois who was born in Assumption Parish in the Acadiana region in Southern Louisiana.  They had to be the ancestors of one of Grandma Mary's African American great grandparents.  All of them were slaves in the Acadiana region.   The only one of Grandma Mary's great grandparents that was recorded as being born in the Carolinas was her pater